The Student News Site of North Point High School

North on Point

North on Point

North on Point

North on Point

¨Im excited for sophomore year, I hope its a lot less bumpy than freshman year¨, Kieren Tucker (´25) said.
Good Luck Freshman
May 29, 2024
Poll

image

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Poor Sleep? Consider These Supplements

A good night’s sleep is vital
Google Images
Sleep is essential

There are lots of different supplements you can take to improve the quality of your sleep. I’m going to explain the biggest ones and what they do.

Melatonin – Melatonin is easily the biggest player in the sleep supplement game. Melatonin is a hormone that your body naturally produces that increases one’s sleepiness. This is why it is so commonly used as a sleep aid. Whether or not you’re comfortable influencing your hormones in this way is a personal decision, but I have found it helps me to wake up feeling very refreshed.

Magnesium – Magnesium is also a juggernaut in the sleep aid world. It can help to relax the muscles and nervous sytem and reduce stress and anxiety as well, leading to a much higher quality of sleep and ability to fall and stay asleep.

L-Theanine – One of the most famous nootropics, L-Theanine can also aid in sleep quality by increasing the activity of certain neurotransmitters such as GABA, serotonin, and dopamine, providing a relaxation effect that makes it easier to fall asleep.

GABA – You can also simply take GABA directly. GABA supplements make it easier to fall asleep by helping to slow down brain activity. Studies have shown that taking GABA before bed can decrease the time it takes to fall asleep. Similar to melatonin, taking GABA is a bit more of a risk as it doesn’t influence neurotransmitters, it is a neurotransmitter.

Chamomile – A calming herb, chamomile contains a chemical compound called apigenin, which binds to certain receptors in the brain to produce a calming effect. It has also been used to ease anxiety and stress, which can contribute to better sleep quality.

Valerian Root – Another one from nature, Valerian root may increase levels of GABA and reduce levels of anxiety. It also has sedative properties, likely due to the presense of compounds called valepotriates, whcih are thought to have calming effects on the nervous system.

There are many other substances and supplements that can aid and help with sleep, and you can find and learn about these online, I encourage anyone truly interested in this to do that. I also would advise against taking any sort of “sleep complex” that contains a long blend of ingredients, as it is impossible to know what is producing the effects you experience. You can easily find these ingredients found in those products individually. Try one at a time for several days, note the effects, and decide if it is a good fit for you.