The Student News Site of North Point High School

North on Point

North on Point

North on Point

North on Point

¨Im excited for sophomore year, I hope its a lot less bumpy than freshman year¨, Kieren Tucker (´25) said.
Good Luck Freshman
May 29, 2024
Poll

image

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Guarana: a Superior Source of Caffeine

Kiss your coffee goodbye.
Google Images
The eyes of the Amazon.

Guarana is a climbing plant native to the Amazon, containing large amounts of caffeine. Guarana seeds contain approximately four times the amount of caffeine found in coffee beans, as well as additional stimulants such as catechins, tannins, theobromine, and theophylline. I believe that it is a much better source of caffeine and energy than coffee, tea, or energy drinks built on caffeine anhydrous.

Because guarana contains additional stimulants beyond caffeine, it can be considered to be a more potent and effective energy booster than coffee. These unique natural stimulants are the reason that guarana has become a relatively common ingredient in energy drinks and pre-workout powders. The main two additional stimulants in guarana are thebromine and theophylline. Theobromine acts as not just a stimulant but also a vasodilator, a substance that causes blood vessels to widen and allow more blood to flow through them. Theobromine can increase energy, mood, and blood flow. Theophylline can stimulate the heart and central nervous sytem, potentially leading to increased alertness and energy by increasing heart rate and blood pressure.

Catechins are also found in Gaurana. Catechins are a type of flavanoid that has antioxidant properties and has been studied for potential health benefits including reducing the risk of heart disease and cancer. Tannins, also found in Guarana, cause caffeine to release more slowly than caffeine in coffee, for example. This leads to a more sustained energy boost without the jittery feelings or crashes that are sometimes associated with coffee and energy drinks containing caffeine anhydrous.

Guarana is a fantastic source of energy and caffeine. You can buy it in capsule and powder form, although powderized versions of Guarana have a very strong and unique taste that some people may not enjoy. I recommend Guarana to anyone seeking to optimize their energy levels with a more sustained form of caffeine and more potent source of energy.