The Student News Site of North Point High School

North on Point

North on Point

North on Point

North on Point

Defender, Sophie Hayes (26) clears the ball against the opposing team, Holt, whom they beat.
The Way To Kick It
April 26, 2024
Stress can be manageable if you just know a few techniques.
How To Manage Stress
April 23, 2024
Poll

image

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Perservering Mid-Season Tragedy

Color Guard’s Amazing Season and the Story of a Fellow Student and Guardmate Battling Cancer.
Emily Berghold
Guard warming up to blow the audience away at the Fort Zumwalt competition

As we approach the end of this season, it is crucial to acknowledge and celebrate the accomplishments of the color guard.

The marching show titled “Arabian Nights” has cast a spell with its intriguing fusion of mystery and allure.

Throughout the season, the guard has been honored with numerous esteemed accolades, a testament to their undeniable talent and dedication.

The captivating uniforms of the guard are inspired by mesmerizing genies, and they have truly mesmerized audiences as they twirl their flags and perform stunning tricks with their rifles and sabers.

It is clear that the marching band would not be complete without their enchanting presence.

“Color Guard is absolutely essential in order for a marching band to be successful,” Mr. Aubuchon, assistant band director, said. “Without the color guard, the marching band would just be music and the addition of them really helps tie everything together during a  marching season.”

With their elegant movement and radiant appearance, the guard epitomizes the mysterious ambiance of the Arabian performance.

Their commitment and hard work this season has been nothing short of remarkable.

They have overcome various obstacles, pushing themselves to their limits. From conquering challenges in communication and teamwork to embracing new skills and routines, they have shown unwavering determination and resilience.

“There were parts where communication could be a little better,”Frank Randazzo (‘26) said. “I think after we’ve all grown from it and we’ve learned to communicate in a better manner.”

The guard’s season was truly phenomenal. However, an unfathomable tragedy occurred when Natalie Kidd, a highly respected member of the guard, was caught in a devastating car accident mid-season.

Not only that, but to add to the troubling situation, a staggering revelation surfaced after Kidd’s admission to the hospital – she received the devastating news of being diagnosed with cancer.

“It’s a really scary thing to see your friend have cancer, knowing that they’re sick with no way for you to help them is something that’s hard to swallow,” Ike Estep (‘25) said.

Ewing’s sarcoma, an extremely rare form of cancer, develops from specialized cells in the bone or soft tissue. This malignant tumor possesses the capacity to spread and invade critical regions like the lungs, bone marrow, and other delicate tissues. Despite extensive research, the exact cause of this disease remains unknown.

Sadly, this isn’t Kidd’s first experience with cancer. She had previously been diagnosed with a different form of the disease when she was younger. Thanks to proper treatment, she was able to overcome it.

Overcoming the last one, I mean was the best of the worst. At the time I just turned eleven. In some sort of way I had to grow up, I mean in what situation at eleven where you couldn’t enjoy being eleven and doing 5th grade?,” Kidd said.

But this time around almost the age of Seventeen. I mean it sucks as I’m currently living it right now. But the hardest part is trying to continue,” Kidd said. “This is my second experience with cancer. The funny part of this being my second time around is the timeline.”

Experiencing more than one type of cancer throughout one’s lifetime is an extremely rare occurrence. Unfortunately, Kidd has the misfortune of enduring this ordeal.

We are all so devastated with this news. The whole band and guard went out of their way to get Kidd at least a card and when I delivered all this to her, she was extremely grateful. 

“I love card reading,” Kidd said. “It’s so wholesome and I’m so grateful for everyone’s support.”

I couldn’t tell you the amount of emotions I’m feeling mentally and physically. But I can say it’s tiring. But sounding myself with people I love and trying to live like I was before is what I can do,” Kidd said.

We all love you Natalie Kidd, and we hope you get better soon. 

Fight, Grizzly, Fight.