The Student News Site of North Point High School

North on Point

North on Point

North on Point

North on Point

Defender, Sophie Hayes (26) clears the ball against the opposing team, Holt, whom they beat.
The Way To Kick It
April 26, 2024
Stress can be manageable if you just know a few techniques.
How To Manage Stress
April 23, 2024
Poll

image

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Mrs. Brown’s Emerson Award

Mariah Ruch
Mrs. Brown, our esteemed math teacher, won the prestigious Emerson Award.

Mrs. Brown received the Emerson Award about two weeks ago. She was nominated by Dr. Shelmire, our school’s principal. The Emerson Award is an award that recognizes educators who are an example of excellence in their field. These educators are selected by the chief administrators of our school district.

Mrs. Brown is very appreciative of this award,

“It was really exciting to know that I was being recognized and that’s an honor, but it’s not possible without the administration’s support, my math departments’ support, and then obviously my students participating and engaging in what I do in class.” Mrs. Brown said

Mrs. Brown receives a small gift for achieving this award.

“I get a glass apple, engraved with my name and a certificate that will be coming in the mail.”

Mrs. Brown goes into more detail about what this award is really about,

“This award is just more to a testament of our admin being supportive of allowing us to come up with creative ideas and then supporting us in doing what we need to do.” Mrs. Brown said

Dr. Shelmire had some gratifying things to say about Mrs. Brown,

“Mrs. Brown can light up any room she walks into and make you smile even on a rough day. She goes above and beyond to assure that her students have every opportunity to find success by making math fun and easy to learn.” Dr. Shelmire said 

Mrs. Brown arrives early and leaves late to help her students be successful.

“She stays after school to assist students who are falling behind, communicates regularly with students, parents, counselors, and case managers, and utilizes multiple interventions to help ALL students succeed,” Dr. Shelmire said. “Even with students who strongly dislike math, she finds creative ways to easily build strong rapport and get students interacting and engaged in her lessons. She is positive, has a growth mindset, and is always willing to share ideas and assist her colleagues.”

Mrs. Brown is also one of the top ten nominees to be selected as Teacher of the Year, which will be announced on Friday.