The Student News Site of North Point High School

North on Point

North on Point

North on Point

North on Point

Zach Frecks (24) recently got Braeden Ball (24) out in the senior assassin game.
Game On
May 3, 2024
MAdison Wilmes (25) studies for her EOCs while at lunch
EOC Preperation
May 2, 2024
Poll

image

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

“Whole Lotta Red” by Playboi Carti: Album Review

Courtesy of Creative Commons
This is the album cover for “Whole Lotta Red.” by Playboi Carti.

Playboi Carti, known for his unique style and creative sounds, released his highly anticipated second studio album, ‘Whole Lotta Red’ on December 25, 2020. The album has been generating many opinions since its release. In this article, we will dive into the tracks, themes, and overall impression of ‘Whole Lotta Red’ to provide you with an in-depth review.

‘Whole Lotta Red’ consists of 24 tracks, each demonstrating Playboi Carti’s experimental style and melodic yet edgy rap flow. From the aggressive beats on tracks like “Rockstar Made” to the experimental instrumentals of “Stop Breathing” and “Metamorphosis.”

Lyrically, ‘Whole Lotta Red’ shows Playboi Carti exploring multiple themes such as fame, wealth and his experience with relationships. The lyrics are often brief and symbolic, with Carti’s delivery relying heavily on vocal inflections rather than traditional wordplay. This approach may separate some listeners who prefer more complicated lyrics.

The album also features collaborations with popular artists such as Kanye West, Kid Cudi, and Future. These appearances not only add depth to the album but also give a difference to Carti’s unique style.

Something that stands out in ‘Whole Lotta Red’ is Carti’s desire to push boundaries and experiment. The album dives into many genres, including elements of punk, rock, and electronic music into his signature trap sound. Songs like “Go2DaMoon” with Kanye West and “ILoveUIHateU” featuring Kid Cudi shows Playboi Carti’s artistic growth and his willingness to try new things, even if others won’t like it.

While some people argue that ‘Whole Lotta Red’ lacks organization, it also offers musical diversity that provides a wide range of listeners. The energy, emotion, and melodies make certain tracks, such as “Slay3r” and “New Tank,” highly replayable. However, the length of the album may be seen as a flaw for those who prefer more short albums, as it requires a great investment of time.

Overall, ‘Whole Lotta Red’ is a unique album that will likely divide listeners’ opinions. However, there’s no denying the impact and originality of Playboi Carti’s sound and different style, making ‘Whole Lotta Red’ interesting for both older fans and new ones.