The Student News Site of North Point High School

North on Point

North on Point

North on Point

North on Point

Defender, Sophie Hayes (26) clears the ball against the opposing team, Holt, whom they beat.
The Way To Kick It
April 26, 2024
Stress can be manageable if you just know a few techniques.
How To Manage Stress
April 23, 2024
Poll

image

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Dive Record Broken

Jenna Vanderbol
Cate Fromm is looking forward to dive this season as she set school records last year.

With the new addition to the dive team last year, of Cate Fromm, many records were set.

16-year-old, Junior at North Point High School, claims “I’ve always wanted to try dive, and last year was the perfect opportunity.”

She began the season off competing for a front one and a half and was able to progress to a back-twisting two and a half by the end of the season. Fromm felt that her coach, Daniel Zammit, was a huge part of her success. He always prioritized supporting his athletes and she felt he always pushed her to the best of her ability. 

“He always motivated me to try new skills, and not be scared,” Cate Fromm said.

Cate believes if she never joined competitive cheer, she wouldn’t have made it to state, or done as well throughout her dive season.

“I would say cheerleading inspired me the most, considering I’ve been tumbling since I was 4,” Fromm said.

Although most of Fromm’s skills competed were from a previous sport, she still had many challenges to face. Fromm had to learn how to adjust her take-off position and the landing of her skill. She not only had to learn to do these skills standing.

“I had to train a new setting target considering these skills were being done in place,” Fromm said. 

Fromm not only experienced physical challenges but mental challenges as well. 

“I’ve always enjoyed the bond of a team and the support you get from everybody,” Fromm said.

Fromm heavily focused on how difficult it was to be included in an individual sport, and not a team one. Training herself to focus and motivate herself in a quiet environment, compared to a loud, chaotic, cheer environment, can affect your skills. Fromm didn’t let this hold her back, and she still continued to improve her skills and technique. 

After dive season ended, It was acknowledged that Fromm had officially beaten all North Point Dive records, as the third-ever diver at North Point. With her overall highest score of “376” throughout the whole season.