World Cup Draws More USA Fans

Nate Logan, Reporter

As the World Cup began, more North Point students didn’t care much about soccer, but the interest is peeking as USA advances out of the first stage. USA is in group B and played against Wales, England, and Iran. Their first match was against Wales and they ties 1-1. Their second match was against England and they tied 0-0. This meant they had to beat Iran to advance to the Round of 16. It was a very exciting match, with a lot of opportunities for Iran to tie up the score, but USA held their own and defeated Iran 1-0.

Coach Young is a huge soccer fan and hasn’t missed a USA game. The England match was his favorite so far because in his years of watching World Cup, USA has never been able to compete against England

” We played toe-to-toe with them and in my opinion we outplayed them,” Coach Young said.

Coach Carrill coaches the JV boys soccer team here and has noticed that nonsoccer players have really been influenced by the World Cup this year.

“This World Cup has blown up the interest in soccer and high school students are starting to ask a lot more questions about soccer,” Coach Carrill said. “It’s a really exciting time for USA soccer because I think we are going to be moving up. Out average age of our team is only 24 so we are definitely up and coming.”

Students and adults seem to be more into soccer due to this year’s World Cup team.

“My dad bought all the US jerseys,” Brenden Balcom (’26) said. “He watches every game now. I hope that the US wins on Saturday.”

Izzy Politte (’25) has been a soccer fan for as long as she can remember.

“Soccer is one of those sports that you can watch while doing something else,” Politte said. “My teachers are fine with me watching a little bit because I always get my work done.”

USA advances to the Round of 16 on Saturday facing the Netherlands at 9:00 am. Some people that the Netherlands might win the whole thing.

“I think it’s going to be Ghana and the Netherlands in the final match,” Brady Hoelting (’26) said. “I think the Netherlands will win it all though.”

“I think Brazil is going to win it all,” Gia Zerface (’25) said. “I just have a gut feeling.”

Some people believe that the USA has a chance to beat the Netherlands.

“I think the USA is going all the way,” Parker Tieman (’25) said.