Shakespeare Festival

Susan Miller

Brady Trennepohl (’25), playing the part of Mercutio, is carried away by Jimmy Thompson (’25), playing the part of Benvolio. Romeo, played by Colter Alvarez (’25) and Tybalt, played Aidan Davis (’23) look on in shock.

Maggie Wallace, Editor-in-Chief

On March 18, 2022, our school is hosting a Shakespeare Festival. At this festival, there will be food, work and games. 

The idea for this festival was envisioned by ELA teacher Ms. Swanson. The whole ELA department has stepped up and really tried to bring Shakespeare to life. Not only have ELA teachers been helping out, but teachers all over the school have been taking over booths. These teachers have chosen certain students to work at their booth. 

“I’m really excited how all the teachers stepped up to help with different things for the festival and it’s very interdisciplinary instead of just an ELA thing,” Ms. Swanson said. “So it’s not just for English, but a lot of other disciplines have gotten involved.”

In addition, the teachers are not the only ones working at this. Each and every student will have a job at the festival. The jobs range from Queen to Human Chess Piece. 

The festival is in three shifts: red 7:58-8:47, blue 8:47-9:25 and green 9:25-10:03. Each student will have a shift to work, a time to eat at the banquet and time to play and walk around the festival. 

The shifts go:

Red Armbands: Work, Eat and Play

Blue Armbands: Eat, Play and Work

Green Armbands: Play, Work and Eat

“It’s gonna be a lot of fun we’re gonna see students in a different light,” Coach Zangrilies said. 

Each student is tasked with dressing up. Students put on a fashion show to show peers what kind of clothes they can wear.  But remember, you do not have to go all out, you can simply get stuff from your closet. 

This event could only happen once in our school’s history. 

“That will depend on two things,” Swanson said. “Number one, how does everyone behave and how well does it run, and it will also depend on funds because I received a $1000 grant to prepare the food and get the supplies we need. So those two factors will determine whether we do it again.” 

The festival is a once-in-a-lifetime experience for our school.