Aspirations and Expectations for the New Year

rawpixel.com / Carol M Highsmith

Countries from all around the globe come together to celebrate a new beginning.

Adianna Lynne, Editor in Chief

As the near year begins to show its figure and the fresh opportunities and changes arise, many people begin to settle into a routine to best fit their aspirations for the coming year. After the past few years of collective world struggle and hardship, the world and its inhabitants are blissful for new horizons.

Many begin to create perpetual lists of things they wish to change about themselves and their habits, even while a small percentage of the resolutions may be kept, by turning aspirations into actions and being proactive the probability of the survival of these new hopes for the now present year is far greater.

Expectations and hopes differ between individuals, but a constant remains, the hope for a better and improved environment to surround both themselves and their inner mind to work to accomplish their goals. Many aspire to be more healthy, for which the definition alters for each specific individual.

“I plan on keeping an active schedule, improving my mental health through a vast diet, and surrounding myself with people that I love,” Michael Murphy (’23) said.

Because of the antiquated and societal view of being “healthy” or improving their appearance that is often pushed around the new year, many feel the need to change themselves physically which can not only result in damaging self-views, but also a constant feeling of never being that idolized version of yourself displayed by media and current trends. During this time, it is important to remember that the standardized beauty that has been projected on Gen Z and previous generations with the inherent increase in technology and advertisement does not define your beauty or your worth, but is rather used to exploit insecurities built from comparison often found in media for profit by large companies.

The introduction of positive and self-reflective and often intrinsic goals for the turning year are more likely to survive through routine and determination, rather than an unreasonable transformation to a “new self” purely based on physical appearance.

“I want to stay on top of my work and improve my productivity.” Mora Arzuagas (’25) said.

A more beneficial alternative to resolutions regarding appearance cannot only consist of physical beauty but the beauty of one created and shown through an individual’s actions and decisions, painting an external portrait of their inner mind.

“I would like to be more open-minded this year and meet more people with this energy,” Faith Jones (’25) said. “I also wish to surround myself with people that are mindful and care about others, limiting conflict and creating a more peaceful atmosphere.”

Using the coming of a new year can be a great opportunity to change and work on oneself, even while that is possible throughout the whole year, the beginning of a new time creates the desire for a new alternation to self as time transitions to a new period.

“I want to try and get my grades better for the end of the semester and focus on school more than I have been,” Murphy said.

As the last page of last year turned, a new book is to be written, slowly growing over time with the induction of new knowledge and experience; not only may new lessons and experiences grow and develop, but also the individual themself passes a new milestone and years prior begin to fade out and the new era begins to adjust to normality.