The Student News Site of North Point High School

North on Point

North on Point

North on Point

North on Point

¨Im excited for sophomore year, I hope its a lot less bumpy than freshman year¨, Kieren Tucker (´25) said.
Good Luck Freshman
May 29, 2024
Poll

image

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

The Surprising Perks of Listening to Music in Class

While the usual view has been that music is a distraction in the classroom, a growing body of research suggests that allowing students to listen to music during study time or lectures can actually boost academic performance.

“There’s a misconception that music will prevent students from focusing,” said Dr. Emily Chen, an education researcher at the University of California, Berkeley. “But when used strategically, music can have a wide range of cognitive and emotional benefits.”

One key advantage is improved focus and concentration. Studies have shown that certain types of background music – particularly instrumental tracks without lyrics – can help students block out external distractions and stay on task.

“The right music can create a ‘flow state’ where the brain is engaged but not overstimulated,” explained Chen. “This allows students to enter a state of deep focus and productivity.”

Listening to music has also been linked to enhanced memory. Experts believe this is because music triggers the release of dopamine, a neurotransmitter that plays a crucial role in the brain’s learning and memory processes.

“When students listen to music they enjoy, it puts them in a positive mood and makes them more welcome to absorb new information,” said Chen.

Additionally, music has been found to reduce stress and anxiety, two major obstacles to academic success. The calming effects of certain musical genres can help students feel more relaxed and better equipped to tackle challenging assignments.

“Reducing stress is key, because when students are anxious or overwhelmed, it becomes much harder for them to engage with the material,” Chen noted.

Of course, experts caution that the type of music matters. Upbeat, energetic tracks may be more suitable for tasks requiring creativity or brainstorming, while slower, more soothing music can be beneficial for activities demanding focused attention.

“It’s about finding the right musical ‘fit’ for the task at hand,” said Chen. “With a little experimentation, students can discover the music that helps them perform at their best.”

As educators continue to explore innovative ways to support student learning, the research on music’s cognitive benefits suggests it may be time to rethink the traditional “no music” policy in classrooms.

“Music is a powerful tool that can enhance focus, memory, and emotional regulation – all of which are crucial for academic success,” Chen concluded. “It’s an underutilized resource that deserves more attention.”