The Student News Site of North Point High School

North on Point

North on Point

North on Point

North on Point

¨Im excited for sophomore year, I hope its a lot less bumpy than freshman year¨, Kieren Tucker (´25) said.
Good Luck Freshman
May 29, 2024
Poll

image

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

“Project X” by Ken Carson: Album Review

Project X by Ken Carson: Album Review

Ken Carson, signed to Playboi Carti’s Opium label, is the creator of the album called “Project X.” The 11 songs are full of anger, sadness after a breakup, and an obsession with expensive clothes. Released on July 31st, 2021, the album shows Carson getting even better at his unique style – mixing loud guitars, heavy bass, and auto-tuned vocals that blur the line between singing and rapping.

“Project X” doesn’t sound too different from Carson’s past work, but it shows him improving. Songs like “So What,” with its catchy chorus and fast beat, prove that Carson knows how to make a good melody. Meanwhile, “Change” is sad and shows a softer side that his angry delivery often hides.

The album’s production, mostly done by his usual team like Starboy Spider and Outtatown, is truly outstanding. Deep bass and dreamy synths create a sound that’s both messy and hypnotic, matching Carson’s raw emotions perfectly.

Lyrically, “Project X” keeps things simple. It talks about heartbreak, money, and feeling lost using repeated phrases and easy rhymes. But the way Carson delivers these lines is captivating. His voice, often distorted beyond recognition, becomes another instrument, showing strong feelings that go beyond the words themselves.

Some of the best songs include the already mentioned “Change” and “So What,” along with the aggressive “Run + Ran” and the thoughtful “Who’s Next.” These songs show the different sides of Carson’s music, offering moments of vulnerability amidst the anger.

However, the album’s use of repetition can get old. While the mix of distorted guitars and heavy bass is definitely effective, it starts to feel boring by the end.

Overall, “Project X” is a good addition to Ken Carson’s collection. It strengthens his place in the current wave of angry and loud music, even if it doesn’t do anything completely new. Fans will find a lot to like, while newcomers will discover an artist with a clear vision and a unique sound.