Minimizing Stress and Prioritizing Mental Health during Finals Week

Preparations for finals can improve the scores of those who participate, in order to minimize stress and optimize their results.

Google Images under the Creative Commons License.

Adianna Lynne, Design Editor

The years past of 2022 were not without hardship and adjustment which started this school year with exuberance. Classrooms reopened for many, masks became optional, in-person learning became once again a normality, new friendships and experiences emerged, and life began to feel more normal again. As August passed and we saw Halloween and Christmas in a new light, without the imposing pandemic ridden anxiety hanging over head, the year began to pass by quicker than ever before. With one more week left of this school year, students now face the apprehension of finals week.

Directly after EOC week, finals week can create stress in most individuals and tension before school lets out for summer. While studying and finishing units just before the last of the year can feel asphyxiating at times, there are ways that exist for students to minimize the stress they endure.

In order to be fully prepared for finals, one should complete all of the work for the unit in order to not fall behind and be completely up to date with the information of which they will be tested over. They should also complete any study guides or reviews that might help them comprehend certain subjects and topics, as well as form a comprehensive view of the materials studied. Besides completing the resources given to students by their instructors, students can implement certain practices in order to better their memory retention and concentration.

By inserting certain activities such as spending at least 30 minutes outside a day, following a 10-30 minute yoga video on youtube, reading for at least 20 minutes and meditating one’s focus and ability to store the information they study will likely improve. Another imperative but often overlooked way to improve the results of testing is getting adequate sleep. Studies show that individuals that sleep from eight to ten hours every night have increased memory retention and the ability to focus during the day time, as their body is replenished from the rest the brain receives during sleep. By ensuring that someone will get enough sleep not only will their Hippocampus thank them but also their test scores which are likely to see an improvement. To calculate the amount of sleep someone needs, use this sleep calculator in order to experience optimal rest.

If one follows these steps to improve their intrinsic abilities, the physical results will likely be palpable. Reducing physical stress by taking on some of these activities is vital for one’s mental health, but not without the acknowledgment that without self confidence and motivation one cannot achieve what they are capable of. Subsequently, as the week progresses and finals take place, make sure that you are holding yourself accountable for both your actions and their consequences within your academias, but also noting how you are feeling and attempt to minimize and regulate the stress and anxiety you may experience. If you begin to feel intense anxiety of which you do not believe is controllable, it is always a good idea to tell someone that you trust and know cares about you deeply, whether that be a close friend, trusted adult, guardian, counselor or teacher. While finals week may cause stress amongst within most individuals, it is prudent that a test score does not equate to one’s worth, though it is important that someone does their best for themselves and what lies ahead of them in the future they create.