High School and Naptime

Meg Zumwalt

More stories from Meg Zumwalt

Naptime might be a positive addition to the high school schedule.

Many students find themselves dozing off in class, unable to keep their eyes open. Between balancing homework, extra-curriculars and a part-time job for extra money, not enough sleep can become a way of life. This is why incorporating naptime into our daily high school routines may be beneficial.

Adolescents tend to have a different cycle of sleep than adults and younger children. The chemicals in teens’ brains through development release melatonin up to hours after nightfall (Moawad). Waking up early is a necessary part of getting to school on time, and the inability of falling asleep at a decent time and waking up early will lead to sleep deprivation and harm to health.

Health benefits and the ability to retain information better are just two positives of adding a nap to the schedule. According to a study, students who slept only five hours at night, but were given a 1 1/2-hour nap, did better remembering pictures and facts than the students who slept 6 1/2 hours a night. Nap time will be a positive to both teachers and students and possibly their futures too. 

A section for students to nap during WIN time may be a way to add naps to the schedule without interfering with classes. This will reduce the number of students who fall asleep during class. Several schools in New Mexico are trying out nap times in replacement to others who are pushing back start times. Some students who take naps during the day report feeling more focused and clearer minded. Clearer minds can help improve grades and attitudes in the classroom.

Nap time may just be a solution to happier students and teachers in class. It shouldn’t interfere with class time and a section to nap during WIN could be beneficial. The health benefits to naps through our development as teens is something that should not be overlooked, and let’s be honest, who doesn’t love a good nap?