The Student News Site of North Point High School

North on Point

North on Point

North on Point

North on Point

Defender, Sophie Hayes (26) clears the ball against the opposing team, Holt, whom they beat.
The Way To Kick It
April 26, 2024
Stress can be manageable if you just know a few techniques.
How To Manage Stress
April 23, 2024
Poll

image

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Energy Drink Review Roundup

To drink or not drink energy drinks
Courtesy of Creative Media
To drink or not drink energy drinks

Over the past few months, I have tried many different energy drinks. Here’s my reviews:

Monter (Original) – The original Monsters are great for a quick rush of energy and a mood boost, due to the extremely high sugar content. It tastes really good too, sort of like a sugary green apple. It’s got around 160mg of caffeine which is on the lighter side, but the sugar energy balances that out. It’s not something I would drink on the daily though, because that high sugar content isn’t great health wise. 8/10

Red Bull (Original) – This drink tastes like battery acid. The can says it’s lightly carbonated, but it’s definitely not light. It just does not taste good. The high sugar content, like in a Monster, does improve my mood. You do have to get one of the taller ones to get a decent amount of caffeine, and those are pricy. I believe I paid around three or four dollars to get the 180mg one. I never drink these because it’s not a pleasurable experience. 4/10

Five Hour Energy – This is the first high caffeine drink I ever tried, so my experience with it is may have been skewed by the fact that I began with a very low caffeine tolerance. However, I do believe that it provides a very deep and focused energy, which is either due to or amplified by the fact that you’re consuming the 200mg of caffeine very quickly rather than sipping on a drink for ten minutes. They’re great if you need to get your energy fast, like right before school or work. The taste is terrible though, probably because a lot of these ingredients taste sort of bad and when they’re so concentrated it’s worse. 5/10

Monster (Rehab) – The Monster Rehabs are Monster’s line of “recovery” energy drinks. The only good flavor is the Tea + Lemonade one. Loaded with electrolytes and vitamins, it has a really refreshing effect on you that could be described as “clearing”. It’s got some sugar in it, but the amount is so low it doesn’t need to be considered unless you have a medical problem with any sugar at all. I also really like that they’re not carbonated. 9/10

Rockstar Recovery – This is very similar to the Monster Rehab, being non carbonated and full of those electrolytes and vitamins. Refreshing! I tried the Orangeade flavor and it was pretty good, if a bit artificial tasting. The Dollar General I got it from was selling them for like a dollar each, which made the purchase feel very justified. 8/10

Ghost – Ghost energy drinks are great. The taste is almost always good, with the Tropical Mango and Sour Patch Kids Redberry flavors being my personal favorites. Ghosts contain 200mg of caffeine as well as 150mg of Alpha GPC which really helps with focusing and mood. 8.5/10

Gorilla Mind – Gorilla Mind energy drinks are just a superior version of Ghost. It has more than double the amount of Alpha GPC as well as loads of other nootropics such as L-Theanine, which helps with anxiety. It has the standard 200mg of caffeine, which is definitely enough, but the nootropics are definitely why this drink shines. This drink makes me relaxed and focused. The flavors are amazing as well, I would recommend the Tiger’s Blood and Exotic Kiwi flavors. You can get these for three bucks at Supplement Superstore, which is definitely on the higher end price wise, but I think it’s worth it. There are also new flavors being released all of the time, with Mango Peach being the newest one. 10/10

Bang – Bang energy drinks are not great. It’s got 300mg of caffeine, and that’s kind of all it’s got going for it. It’ll wake you up, but not much more. The Blue Raspberry flavor I tried did not taste good at all. The best thing about Bang is the logo, “Chase Your Destiny”. That’s kinda it. 3/10

Monster Java – Monster Java is Monster’s line of coffee/energy drink hybrids. The flavors are just okay, with the Mean Bean being the best. Salted Caramel sounds really good, but it’s too sweet. Monster Javas have 200mg of caffeine, which is better than the other Monsters which only contain 160mg. You can even get a 300mg Monster Java if you want, the Java Monster 300’s. These drinks have a really clean energy feel to them also. 7/10

Reign – Let me give you some background on this one. Reign energy drinks are owned and made by Monster, but they rebranded for some reason rather than just making a higher caffeine Monster version, like a Monster Extreme. This seems like a poor business decision to me. My logical guess as to why they did this is so that the casual Monster consumers don’t get a 300mg drink and get shocked. Keeping the brand safe, sort of. I do like to imagine, however, that the reason they did this is that the CEO or whoever got bored and thought it would be a fun challenge to make a new energy drink brand without using the Monster logo at all. Now, about the drink, they taste okay, with the Sour Gummy Worm flavor being the best. It gives a clear energy that’s nice, and it also has electrolytes which is always good in my opinion. It really is just a high caffeine Monster, and that’s not a bad thing. 8/10

So there you have it, my review of the energy drink I have tried. I hope this was informative!