Track Season Preview

Kimberly Trennepohl

Warm-up is something the team plans to do together whenever possible.

Dawson Shasteen, Reporter

On your mark, get set, go. These words can often be heard at the start of running events in our youth. Whether we are racing our siblings to the car or our friends on the playground. Now that we are in high school the start of track meets sounds a bit different, but the idea is the same.

We want to be the first one across the finish line. I haven’t really thought much about track as a sport until recently. Watching the Olympics really broadened my mind to all the different track and field events available and how the skill set learned in high school track can lead to greatness. It isn’t just a bunch of people running in circles.

They are competing against each other and against themselves. There are many reasons to choose track as a sport in high school. The first one that comes to mind is playing time. On traditional sports teams there are only a limited number of positions and players. 

In track and field there are a variety of events to allow for adequate playing time for many people. Another reason for high school track is that people can try different field events and it isn’t just running; there seems to be something for everyone. Lastly, and quite possibly the most important is the sense of belonging. High school is hard and finding a group of people with a common interest is important. 

Being part of a team helps form unbreakable bonds and creates memories that will last a lifetime. It gives you a connection and a reason to say hi to someone in the halls or to sit with at lunch. Friends are at the heart of every sport and track is no different. The track team was asked what they are looking forward to about the upcoming track season? One student said “my favorite part is jumping because it’s something i’m good at and can improve in as well, but i also like working out and getting stronger and faster with everyone”.