Weight Training is Good For Student Athletes

Brandon McQuerry

Payton Bridell (’25) spots Riley Deslatte (’25) while he bench presses 230 lbs.

Peyton Briddell, Reporter

Being an Athlete nowadays is a very rocky road and it could be hard to know what to do to improve yourself and be able to get to the next level in your sport. The weight room is a great place to make tremendous strides in your athletic ability.

“Lifting weights also can increase endurance and reduce the risk of injury, especially to connective tissue,” Nytimes.com said. 

Staying healthy is a very important part of your success and being an athlete your body is what makes you money. In other words, this means that your body is why you go to the next level, which could be either college and or even professional.

“I try to become faster, stronger, and also build muscles,” Nate Logan (’25) said.

Gaining muscle and becoming stronger is the best thing you can do as an athlete. In football the bigger you are the harder you are to be pushed, In track, the stronger your legs are the more force you can apply to the ground and that will make you faster. The stronger your hips, legs, and arm are, the harder you will be able to hit the ball farther and throw harder.

Being the best of your ability in season and preventing injury by strengthening ligaments, and becoming more flexible in the weight room. This is how you can stay healthy and prevent injury in the season and through the off-season.

Being an athlete myself I have seen many strides in my athletic ability through mobility, agility and power/strength. Being a 140-pound freshman last year now being a 190-pound sophomore and I am still growing, will set my athletic path to college a lot better. 

Gaining muscles is a great way to make you feel better about yourself and for me, and it has raised my confidence tremendously. I hope that you would like to change your well-being and athletic ability for the better.